Monday, December 9, 2013

Dare to DIY: Stenciled coasters

When I was at Menards one day scanning the aisles for some kitchen backsplash ideas. I picked up a stack of travertine square tiles in the clearance section.

I wanted to make a few to bring as hostess gifts for upcoming holiday parties. I like to bring a bottle of wine from the family winery for the host, but this is just an extra to add to the gift.

Easiest DIY ever. I did it while we watched Home Alone this weekend. I love Home Alone around the holidays. It's nice to watch it with all the Christmas lights twinkling and a fire. 
Anyway, back to the DIY:

These were 2 bucks at the hardware store for all 8. They have more expensive ones. But I chose these because it was more stone-like, less shiny tile. Plus, they were in the clearance section.

Then I stenciled.

And when I messed up (because I am no Martha), I just painted over it and did a reverse stencil look.

NOT PICTURED (because it's too dang cold outside to be pausing to take action shots): Spray with a clear coat outside to make sure your minutes of hard work stenciling stay put.


I added little felt tips that I already had on hand. But you can get a huge bag at the hardware store for 6 bucks.

 And make sure you test them...


They work!







Tie a few up with some twine. And you are finished.


What do you like to bring/get at hostess gifts?



37 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm also a huge Home Alone around the holidays fan. It's on our list for next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these coasters! I've done something similar with photos on tiles and my recipients loved them! Great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a current gift idea! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooOOOOOoooo..... I need to know you in real life so I could get some of these. Especially love the dark ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG you are brilliant!! These are so beautiful! Homemade gifts are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEEESSSSS this is a perfect gift idea! They came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute idea for a gift! I love the monogram.

    Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned out so cute! I really need to get better about getting good hostess gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I usually grab a bottle of wine and call it good...but I made some extras to keep on hand this time.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the nice post. If there are other things that you have please share freely. I will try to address them.


    home builders in Atlanta ga

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree it's a good point of views and it's all effective. Thanks for sharing this nice post.


    austin luxury home builders

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them. They turned out great! And I could really slurp that beer down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog and I love the header. I will be a regular here. The DIY coasters are awesome. I will have to try and make these. Thanks for sharing such awesome(NESS) … From your newest follower Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for your kind words! and Welcome :) off to check out your blog now too!

      Delete
  13. these look great! we did coasters last year, but with scrap book paper and owls and such. yours are much more grown up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made them with scrapbook paper in the past too. So cute!

      Delete
  14. Very cute! Great gift idea!
    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the nice post. If there are other things that you have please share freely. I will try to address them.

    custom home builders austin

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you've made some truly interesting points. Nice post.

    Custom Home builder Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love these!!!! bookmarking this for future gifts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, thank goodness you tested them. That's the most important part!! Does the beer taste even better after sitting on the coasters? Inquiring minds MUST know!!! :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute, and so inexpensive! I had some mustache coasters in my hand today at Hobby Lobby...$17.99!! No way, I need to DIY some! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics