Thursday, October 24, 2013

DIY Faux Antique Finish: Globe

A few months ago I shared my deals from the Kane County FleaMarket trip.
I nabbed a globe I had been on the hunt for all summer –with a great price of about 15 bucks.
Globes seem to be all the rage this year, and I wanted a piece of the action.
But, it was a little too “blue” for my liking. I needed to add something to it--make it look less classroom and more vintage. Faux antique finish coming right up...

I started with the base. I hosed off all the flea market grime, and then whipped out my all-time favorite spray paint; Rustoleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze and went to town.
my assistant...supervising as usual.
The easy part was done.

I got out my stash of craft paints and modge podge and did some mixing, testing, more mixing and waiting until I could find a color I thought would work. I did my tests on a magazine cover since it had a similar glossy finish as the globe. I thought I would at the least get an idea of how it would turn out.


I ended up with about 2 parts Mod Podge Matte, and one part mixture of a few different brown/bronzey shades of acrylic paints.

I used a mini foam paint roller from Hobby Lobby.

 And...I rolled my homemade mixture all over the globe, trying to avoid any big globs, but also making sure I applied it unevenly.


I wanted it to look like it was stored in grandma’s attic for 30 years instead of straight out of a 4th grade social studies class.



My globe found a home in the living room, but may find its way up to our loft. I keep moving things around lately. Plus, the loft is getting some new life (to be revealed soon!)

In the end, I am happy with the turn out. I wanted to do this as a test for my bigger project, my map from the same flea market. But, I am not sure if I want to use the same method to antique it.

Any faux antique glaze tips or suggestions?
Did you jump on the globe bandwagon this year?

13 comments:

  1. That's my go to paint as well... looks great. Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun. Get to showing us more pictures of this house! (I'm bossy tonight. Can you tell?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to make it less bright! It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better! I love it. I have yet to go to Kane County Flea Market. I lead such a sheltered life. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. 4th grade social studies class no more! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I love how it looks on its little stand. Fresh from grandma's attic! :)
    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice globe action! And I love that table it's sitting next to!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this blog I really enjoyed it! I've been looking for Stark County Ohio custom home builders so if you know of any then you should recommend some to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! Grandma and her globe have officially retired from her SS classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a neat little trick. Kane County Flea Market sounds like a fun place to explore. You found some goodies.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics