Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Show & Tell: Introducing my favorite thrift store purchase EVER.

I've already told you about our DIY Pinterest inspired projects  (Easy Wreaths here & DIY Mercury Glass here) we worked on during my "weekend of dreams" with friends in Peoria Illinois. We pretty much acted like old grannies, crafting, drinking wine, eating, gossipping... and one of my favorite pastimes...thrifting!

Today I will share some of my favorite thrifted goodies from that weekend.


First off, this sweet jute-like rug. Actually, this rug was not even for sale...it was kinda sorta rolled up (aka thrown in a corner) of dinky little thrift store--they must have been moving stuff around and threw it aside for the day...but I wanted it. 
the colors are perfect.
I made one of my friends carry it to the counter for me and wink at the young man behind the counter (I couldn't do it...I'm MARRIED YA'LL) Her winking worked because he sold it to us for $4.99. Yep under 5 bucks. And it's pretty big too. It will go on the back deck I think...after I spray it with the hose to get the thrift store dust and dirt off it.

And another find for under 5 bucks. This big old basket. It was only $4.99.
I don't have a plan for it. The lady at the counter asked me if I would put apples in it...Apples? Hm.. I said no, not apples. She then asked if it was for a dog? No, I said. My dog is too fat for this basket.

So what it will be used for I'm still not sure. But I have a thing for baskets and this one called my name.



So what is under that 5 dolla rug and 5 dolla basket you ask? Only my most expensive thrift store purchase EVER. You see, not only am I cheap, but I am a cheap thrifter. I usually spend about 15 bucks tops in a thrift shop...and come out with a handfull of items.

Well, this beauty was $35. Which to me is a lot to spend at a thrift store. But I just couldn't pass it up. Just couldn't...It is my favorite find, ever.

Let's take a quick look at the bottom of this beauty...

Do you know what is is yet?



How about now?



The insides...

It's a sweet-ace old radio. They didn't know if it still worked or not but I didn't care. I love the look of it.

With ends up and down both.

Adam is going to tinker with it a little to see if he can get it going.
But for now, I am cleaning it up and it will be a new nightstand in our bedroom. Perfect size!


So all in all it was an amazing weekend full of friends, crafting, shopping, and lots of other old granny fun...and I got to bring home some awesome finds from the weekend of dreams!


Been thrifting lately? 
Are you a cheapo thrifter like me and have trouble spending $35 bucks at a Goodwill?

8 comments:

  1. You are a thrifting machine! I hope you can get it working - how cool would that be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome finds! Especially the old radio! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I like the rug. You are thrifting left and right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That radio is awesome! Nice find.
    I love the idea of using the "new" rug outside; how cute. I need to check out the thrift stores for an outdoor rug now! I really want one, but don't want to break the bank on something for the deck. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I like all three things you found. I have trouble spending $5.99 at Goodwill, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be motivated if I were to find the right thing!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics