Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pickin' at my Parents'

Do you ever watch the picker’s show on the History Channel? Adam and I watch it pretty regularly. I love junk and my dream job would be to be one of those pickers…but I don’t know if I could sell some of that stuff. I think I am also a little bit of a hoarder.  I pray I am never on that show though…





This weekend Adam, Scout and I headed 3 hours north to my mom & dad’s house for the Easter weekend. We had a lot of family time and a fun Easter basket hunt. Yes, I am nearing 30 and still get an Easter basket full of loot.

After the 2 hour long scavenger hunt for our Easter Baskets (yep!) My sister and I went pickin’ at mom & dad’s. 
They have all kinds of goodies that they’ve picked up at sales and flea markets over the past 30 years. These items are not fancy antiques you could take to antiques roadshow or anything…no $100,000 paintings or vases.
Most of it they use and have throughout the house. But there is also a nice stash that has been rotated out and is waiting for a new home in the garage & shed.

We pulled down a few boxes and dusted off a few cobwebs to bring back some treasures:
My new table centerpiece. 
 An old bread pan becomes the perfect centerpiece for my kitchen table. I'm thinking a good spot for napkins and silverware this summer during cookouts.


This was actually in my bedroom as a teenager. I used it for a vanity. 
This old piece of furniture will get a makeover and be repurposed in our basement when it is complete. It most definitely needs a paint job to begin with.


 I just liked this rusty old box. I'm not sure where this will go yet. But I like it.


This contraption will find a new home in my closet. It expands to taller than me! I think it would be perfect for scarves or jewelry after a can of spray paint! What color?


Big old  stoneware bowls.
 Still not sure where I will put the large one. But I'm thinking the tiny one is perfect for a planter.


more bowls.
This set will probably find a place in the laundry room.

We came home with a minivan full. Scout only had room to snuggle up on the floor the whole way back down south. Poor pup. There were a few large items I wanted to bring home, but will have to wait until next visit.

Do your parents give you their old junk? 
Do you think they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts or are they just pushing their old crap off on you? 
Adam seems to think the latter...I think he is just grumpy about having to load and then unload all of these goodies!

9 comments:

  1. Lucky girl! I pick at my parents house too, but they don't have near that kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds! Mike and I watch American Pickers a lot, and their counterparts to the north, Canadian Pickers.

    We can't wait for things to start warming up around here...it's almost auction season!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great finds...I can't wait to see what you do with them! I wish mine had a bunch of cool stuff, but they moved a couple years back and purged everything. Plus, they weren't the types to keep much anyway. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you found some great stuff! I don't think I'd find anything interesting at my parents place, I did get some old green (not the turquoise ones) mason jars from my mom the last time we went down though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finds!! My parents have a boring basement so I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome finds! I'm excited to see what you do with them! I really want that fold out thingy (real technical) for my scarves and jewelry now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents are planning on downsizing in a few years and I definitely have my eye on a few things ;). We just did something similar when my grandma sold her family home. Love this!! And I love your finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that show. What about Flea Market Flip on HGTV? Another great show about junk!
    That is a pretty cool bread pan =)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics