Wednesday, September 26, 2012

fireplace part 1 and 2

Everyone has been asking what about the blog? Where are the photos of the updates? Truth is, they have all been sitting on my camera...we have either been too busy or too tired to blog. Or to do laundry for that matter. 

The past two weekends my dad has traveled the three hours south to help us work on the house. My dad is stoning the fireplace and the exterior of the house for us, with Adam's help of course.

Here are some photos of what he has been working on...

My dad climbing down the scaffolding.

The scratch coat gives the stone something to stick to.

Ready for stone.

This is how we cheat the look of a full masonry fireplace.
Instead, we purchased a fireplace insert, and had it framed so we could stone around it.

Adam will probably not appreciate this photo, but this is the view from the kitchen/dining.
Oh and I was also re-picking out paint colors the evening before they needed to be picked up. Yup.
 ...more on that story later.

And the underlaminate is in, ready for hardwood.
Well, after the fireplace is stoned anyway.
At least the dust is gone.

And after the second weekend:




He picked out the stone for the hearth and cut it to size for us too.
Oh and the house is painted now too! But don't judge it by these photos because it looks different in these.
I haven't figured out how to make my fancy camera take photos of painted walls. Be patient with me.

We love it.
We can't wait for him to be able to come back down and work on it more.
Love you dad, thank you for all your hard work!



This weekend, we are starting the hardwood upstairs...
What do you think of the fireplace? 
Do you like the stone?
Does your dad ever wear a shirt?
Can you explain to me how to take photos of painted walls with my fancy camera? 

11 comments:

  1. So jealous of your fireplace. I love stone fireplaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to look awesome when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... I love how it goes all the way to the ceiling! And the stone... so pretty... Gotta say, I am incredibly jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be an unreal fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWzers!! It is going to be so grand. :) I love it! And no I can't help you out with the camera issue...I'm too lazy to figure mine out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is going to be incredible! It will be like living in a ski lodge or something. So cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good so far. Its totally okay to be too tired to blog, happens to the best of us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy---mess that looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmmmmm, I'm kind of drooling over your fireplace. Like a lot of drool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait until my house gets to this point. Meanwhile we're still waiting on the foundation to be poured :-(.

    As for your camera, if you have a DSLR switch the dial to the letter M. Adjust the thing that says ISO to about 400 and put your exposure at about 250 and shoot. You should get the true color of the wall without the flash!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics