Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Exterior decisions

We chose our windows a couple of weeks ago. We chose a prairie style grille.

Pella Prairie Style Grille
We decided brown color on the exterior, and white on the interior---wood casement windows.
Kind of like this.

And above the front porch entry we will have a arched window that keeps the similar prairie grille:


There will be one just like it above the back covered deck to let light in too.

French doors for the back deck, and for the basement back patio. We wanted to be able to swing both doors open on a nice day, or when we have get togethers.
Yes, you are all invited. Well, most of you.

We are still deciding on an entry door. I knew I had expensive taste, but did you know that a front door can cost more than a car? Well it can. Yipes. Still shopping around for the perfect front door. We already made the choice of having an eight foot door. And we know we want glass in it to let light in. Now just to find a pretty door that is just fancy enough and will not require us to go broke.

This week we are currently driving ourselves crazy bananas deciding on siding colors. After that, we will have to pick out the stone too. Exterior colors seem to be stressing us out the most because...well it's not easily changed.

We have decided on a shingle (dark black with a hint of brown), but the siding seems to be a little tricky.
Sometimes we 2 or 3 of them... and sometimes none at all. They all look different in different lighting. Sometimes too grey, or not green or brown enough. I suppose whatever stone we choose could help bring out the greens or browns too. But I am worried about that not being the case at all and it clashing.

Source

We have been driving around looking at houses and holding the swatches out the car window to see if we have a match. Adam is easily embarrassed, and will not let me actually get out of the car and walk up to a house to color match. I guess he did not realize when he married me I have little shame when it comes to crap like this. Plus, I'm sure we look like creeps driving slowly through neighborhoods and holding siding swatches out the window.

The next step is getting a few house addresses from the manufacturer so we can take a mini road trip...to look at siding. We are party animals lately I tell you.

What is your vote for the siding color? There will be very little siding on the front of the house--since it will be 75% stone. But the rest of the house & garage will be alllllll siding.

If you've ever had the experience of picking out siding, do you think it looks lighter/darker/just right once it's all finished and complete?
Does your significant other get embarrassed by you too or is it the other way around in your house?


P.S. Trusses will be delivered today! So hopefully some new progress photos for you in Thursdays post.

12 comments:

  1. Ack! I'm never good at decisions, but we have agreed on gray siding (not sure light or dark), white trim and we have a stone we like picked out. Good luck and have fun with all of the decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like gray a lot but we are going with all browns on the exterior trim so we are trying to stick with warmer colors. Stone will be our next decision to make, but I think we have a good idea already.

      Delete
  2. It's outrageous how expensive windows and doors are, isn't it?! My dream would to be have a dutch door...I might have to sell my spleen to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could get a fancy shmancy door but it will probably be a more realistic version of my dream door!

      Delete
  3. SWEET! It's going to be so beautiful! We trolled neighborhoods foreverrrrr, picking out colors and styles and rock we liked. Creepy? Yes. Effective? Also yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good I'm glad our sneaking and creeping will pay off!

      Delete
  4. That's a tough decision. I like the hickory and weather ash. Good Luck picking the perfect one! We picked red siding with white trim but it's not up yet so I can't tell you if I like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds wonderful! Red & white would look fab.

      Delete
  5. Gosh I can imagine the decisions are so hard! I'm so indecisive about stuff like this, but out of the samples I'd say my favorite is weather ash. I like your window selection a lot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! I felt so bad for the guy at the lumber yard this weekend, I was being sooo picky. oops!

      Delete
  6. SO many decisions! I don't envy you! But there is no shame in the color-matching! I'm guilty of doing it myself. :) And I think people would be flattered to know you were color matching to their house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Trina, You've made so much progress. I can't wait to see all of your choices. So much fun to watch things from afar magically come together. I'm sure it's got to be a bit stressful. You guys are so cute...and Thank goodness you have a Bratty dog to help you get through it all!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics