Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cottura Italiana!

Ready for some Italian baking today?

Last night, I made delicious Pizzelle cookies. They are thin wafer like cookies. We usually have them around Christmas time,  but they are not only holiday cookies. My grandmother made a few hundred for our wedding day guests.


The first thing you need to even make a pizzelle cookie is a pizzelle maker. To be honest, I don't know where the heck you can buy one of these because Wal-mart does not have a wide variety of Italian cookie makers.

I found mine at an estate sale. Pretty sure it was never even used, or if it was it was very well taken care of. The box looks about 15 years old, but when I took the pizzelle maker out, it was shiny and new looking...
So, I purchased it for 4 dolla. HOLLA!


This is what a pizzelle maker looks like opened. They usually have the waffle look on one side, and some sort of design on the other.

Italiano.

Pizzelle Ingredients: Makes 60 cookies
6 Eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (1/2 lb) Margarine
4 Teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp anise
Powdered sugar (optional)

Beat eggs & add sugar gradually, beat until smooth.
Add melted margarine & anise
Sift flour & baking power. Add to mixture
Stir until smooth. Then plop some right on the pizzelle maker and close that baby up for at least 60 seconds. 

They key is to get the pizzelle maker super hot before you put the batter on. I plugged mine in while I mixed the ingredients.

Anise. I picked mine up for a few bucks at the local grocery store. 








Here I added way too much batter. There will always be some overhang on the cookie that just needs to be cut off. But this was way too much. Let them cook until they are golden, this one is undercooked.

The first few I made. At this point I was jumping up and down.

A few of them I made a tad too thick. It took a few tries to figure out the right amount of batter. 
Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top. 

Eat & enjoy.


I shared some of the scraps with Scout. (We are those bad people that give their pets a little bit of people food, I know I know--but I just can not resist that puppy face.) 
He went crazy and ran around the house like he was on a major sugar rush or something for the rest of the night. Come to find out from my friend Google, anise is like catnip for dogs. 

Begging for more pizzelles. True Italian.


Have you ever made or even tried pizzelle cookies before? 
Do you have a special cookie making machine?
Do you sneak your pet snacks too?


4 comments:

  1. I'm from a Dutch background. We have a similar cookie called a kniepertjes. No anise in these! And they're significantly thinner, and often rolled into a tube. But, kniepertjes makers are hard to find in Ontario - where I live - so my mom attempted to make do with a pizzelle maker last year. Not bad, but not quite the same. After much searching, I think she finally has one for this year.

    Feeding our pooch little snacks has come back to bite us in the butt... she's got such a taste for people food now, she climbed up on the table last night while my back was turned to scarf our leftovers! We're bad humans, teaching their pet bad habits... But when she looks so longingly at our plates, it's so hard to resist letting her lick them clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! We do sneak our puppies little tastes too. I can't help it. They're too adorable not to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Pizzelle cookies look much different, although we use the same pizzelle maker. Ours are much thinner.. more crisp, but not crunchy. Does that make sense?? I'm sure they taste the same, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @thechanginghouse ours are usually a thinner and crispier too. My first batch was thicker than normal for some reason, my next batch was normal but I failed to take photos of them lol, bad blogger.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please comment and tell us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin
Web Analytics